Saturday, July 14, 2018

WIP: Bandai Star Wars Tie Fighter

 
Here is where I left off with this model.  
 
 
 If you look close, you can see where George Lucas and his crew used WW2 Tamiya models to add to their Star Wars models.  I am pointing to a German tank jack.
 Washes similar to Tie Fighter


 Running wires down the stand and painting them black. 
 Testing the LED
You can see the light through the windows.


Thursday, July 12, 2018

WIP: Bandai Star Wars Tie Fighter

It has indeed been a while.  Real life gets in the way of fun.  I have been building, but NOT frequently at all.  After the end of February, I lost the spark and stopped some models I was working on DEAD in their tracks.  Around August I start to gain steam again.  Anyway, let me post some of the work I had finished and documented before I lost my MOJO.  Over the next few days I will upload. 

Masking the wings.  Real pain in the butt.
Panels painted.  I masked them so the paint doesn't get too think and the parts don't have a hard time snapping in. 

Pilot painted.
Cockpit painted and testing red LED.

Tie Fighter in his office.


painting the parts individually.  Adding decals.  Very small.

Such fine detail and now applying Tamiya panel line wash.....but I wasn't happy with it.  Too hard to wipe off.  So I made my own. 


I combined these two products and made my own wash.  I had that White Spirit since Mig owned AK! 



Washed and ready.  Now to finish the base, and deal with wires. 


Monday, December 25, 2017

WIP: Bandai Star Wars Tie Fighter

Decided to build one of my many Bandai models too.  I have too many projects going on at once.  This time I decided to use LEDs to light the model up.  Got the idea from David from Plasmo on YouTube.  Great guy and great modeler.

 Here is the kit
 3mm red LEDs

 Drilling out light sources
 LED fits!


And God said, "Let there be light!" 
Interior color 
Life size model for inspiration. 

WIP: KV-1 1942- Continuation of the Soviet beast.

Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope you are all blessed and safe and sound surrounded with those you hold dear. 

So after a year plus of it being on the shelf, I have restarted the model.  I belong to a great modelling group on Face Book called The Basement Air Force. I saw some fellow members using these new paints called Bomb Shell Brew.  I was intrigued so I bought a bunch of them including this color, the Soviet 4BO.

So after priming the model with Mr. Surfacer 500 I used black paint to pre shade and then tried the BSB paint.  The paint is supposed to be ready to shoot out an airbrush with no thinning required.  BUT, since I am doing the pre shade method, I decided to thin it 50/50...maybe even 60/40 thinner.  So I did not test the paint with out thinning.  This gives me more control of the shade effect.

 
 Primed and ready for pre-shade and paint
Painting on the Mr. Surfacer 500 with Mr. Leveling Thinner, 50/50 or so.  Used my Badger 100 for this, nice fat big needle....wait, that didn't sound good.  LOL


Used the Krome to do the preshade
The BSB black out of the bottle DI D NOT work well at all!  The result is horrible.  
But after 60/40 thinner (AMMO) it was fine!

You can see from the first layer just how THIN the BSB was coming out of my airbrush.  I think I must have sprays 15 coats!  

Paint still wet.

















 Finally satisfied. 

 I always wanted to try this trick, use of heavily thinned clear color, in this case yellow to tint the paint.  I used leveling thinner 400 at about 70/30.  I like the result BUT it might be unrealistic and it seams to change the 4BO too much.  I still like it.  I plan on heavy weathering...

 With yellow tint on left, no clear tint on right.

Clear coat and Tamiya Dark Brown Wash (pin wash method).
The ONLY decals for the entire model.
Painted some other items on model as you can see and now I start the process of chipping.  This might take me another year....see you then...just kidding.