Monday, December 25, 2017

WIP: Bandai Star Wars Tie Fighter

Decided to build one of my many Bandai models too.  I have too many projects going on at once.  This time I decided to use LEDs to light the model up.  Got the idea from David from Plasmo on YouTube.  Great guy and great modeler.

 Here is the kit
 3mm red LEDs

 Drilling out light sources
 LED fits!

And God said, "Let there be light!" 
Interior color 
Life size model for inspiration. 

WIP: KV-1 1942- Continuation of the Soviet beast.

Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope you are all blessed and safe and sound surrounded with those you hold dear. 

So after a year plus of it being on the shelf, I have restarted the model.  I belong to a great modelling group on Face Book called The Basement Air Force. I saw some fellow members using these new paints called Bomb Shell Brew.  I was intrigued so I bought a bunch of them including this color, the Soviet 4BO.

So after priming the model with Mr. Surfacer 500 I used black paint to pre shade and then tried the BSB paint.  The paint is supposed to be ready to shoot out an airbrush with no thinning required.  BUT, since I am doing the pre shade method, I decided to thin it 50/50...maybe even 60/40 thinner.  So I did not test the paint with out thinning.  This gives me more control of the shade effect.

 Primed and ready for pre-shade and paint
Painting on the Mr. Surfacer 500 with Mr. Leveling Thinner, 50/50 or so.  Used my Badger 100 for this, nice fat big needle....wait, that didn't sound good.  LOL

Used the Krome to do the preshade
The BSB black out of the bottle DI D NOT work well at all!  The result is horrible.  
But after 60/40 thinner (AMMO) it was fine!

You can see from the first layer just how THIN the BSB was coming out of my airbrush.  I think I must have sprays 15 coats!  

Paint still wet.

 Finally satisfied. 

 I always wanted to try this trick, use of heavily thinned clear color, in this case yellow to tint the paint.  I used leveling thinner 400 at about 70/30.  I like the result BUT it might be unrealistic and it seams to change the 4BO too much.  I still like it.  I plan on heavy weathering...

 With yellow tint on left, no clear tint on right.

Clear coat and Tamiya Dark Brown Wash (pin wash method).
The ONLY decals for the entire model.
Painted some other items on model as you can see and now I start the process of chipping.  This might take me another year....see you then...just kidding.  

Sunday, December 17, 2017

WIP: Ferrari 330 P4. Group build project for FB model site; The Basement Airforce. Final Reveal

Here she is.  I learned a bunch from this.  For my first car, I am happy.  Now to decide if I will bust it open to fix that water mark issue.  I also had problems with the front windshield with the glue.  Not happy with that at all.  I used a "glass glue, but I botched it.  It didn't help that I had to break the window off twice to fix some water issues.  The Good Year tire stencils did not stick well at all either.  I was unable to rub most of these off per tire!

Over all model looks great though and I am satisfied for my first car.